ENH 224 | Spring 2018 | College of Staten Island, CUNY

Uncategorized

Sexile: “He about to fuck a goat?” (Marilyn, Unique, Karina, Wilfreisy, Shelley, Monica)

Sexile took my group members and myself on a complex eye opening journey of Adela’s self discovery. It not only took us into the world of the transgender community but made us aware of the impact it had in our own personal lives. Adele’s life story impacted each one of us differently, from reminding us of ourselves, to the encounters had in our work lives. Here were our perspectives:
Karina: “It just made me realize how people with AIDS…like how they’re looked at and treated…I used to work in this doctors office, and I remember one time a patient came in, uhh I can’t remember his name but he had AIDS. We can call him Honey, cause that’s all he said. And I remember the doctor came in and reviewed his chart, then he said he didn’t want to see the patient because of his ‘condition’ I wish I could remember his name he was so nice. But I remember him crying and telling me it was ok, he was used to it.”
Shelly: “It kind of hit home because she packed up her stuff and moved to a different country because it was illegal for her to be herself there. I was able to connect to it because my two gay best friends.. they packed up their stuff from a state they had been in for 26 years and they moved down to florida not having any friends any body to really go to or show them the ropes down in florida, they knew that there they would feel more comfortable in their skin. So thats how I was able to relate Adela’s move to theirs.
Wilfreisy: “Basically what I liked was that she was unapologetically herself, from the beginning she said her ‘birth was revolutionary’.even though living in Cuba, she never changed, it was really hard…cause you know how it was illegal to cross dress, like it was illegal to be her own self.
Monica: “So the reason why I liked this story a lot was because I felt it very eye opening and it taught me a lot about the transgender community. Wats the word I’m looking for.. it made me more sensitive, more aware that not only Adela is dealing with that, and not to be judgmental. Also it taught me one lesson, to respect the gender thing; just because one is gay it doesn’t classify or determine their sexuality”.
Unique: “So boom…I can relate to sexile because …cause i’m still trying to figure out…like I’m stuck between having funds and having fun. I make mistakes here and there…I don’t make the best decisions all the time but I’m not dumb, just rebellious by nature. I’m still trying to figure out who I am.”
Marilyn: “It was memorable for me because I like challenging books and things…things that give me a different perspective that challenges my thought process. Adela brought me into her world…the transgender community, it made me think what they think…made me understand what they go through and why it is important in todays day and age to be aware of [people’s] different walks of life”.