ENH 224 | Spring 2018 | College of Staten Island, CUNY

Posts

“Double, Double Toil and Trouble” (Lianna)

I was moved by both the performances of Tracie Morris and Rommi Smith. Both were distinctly unique and innovative. I discovered new and exciting poetry techniques which inspired me to delve deeper into my creative side and look into writing fellowships especially ones that are abroad internationally. Hearing how Rommi Smith’s ancestral background influenced her work catapulted me into reading more into my own ancestry and learning who my ancestors were. I’m 100% Puerto Rican, but being from a mixed group of people I took a genealogy DNA test and recently discovered my results were 66% European, 19% African and 15% Native American. Rommi made me want to seek out inspiration from my own ancestors and spirit guides. I read up more on her techniques on how to channel the ancestral spirits and let them speak through me, So I can give them a voice and let them be heard. I really admired the sound and visual of the double bass as a backdrop throughout her monologues. It’s such a beautiful, elegant instrument that does resemble the physique of a woman as she had mentioned.

Tracie’s unique take on combining “Macbeth” and Double Dutch was very entertaining and fun. I like how she meshed her Shakespearean background and childhood where playing Double Dutch is common. Her beating her hands against the platform to emulate the sound of the rope striking against the concrete made me visualize three young girls engaging in the activity and enjoying themselves. It was delightful!