ENH 224 | Spring 2018 | College of Staten Island, CUNY

Posts

Alike, Alike, A Like, we’re A Like (Alston)

We’re not exactly the same. Pariah was such a moving and heart tugging film. I became anxious watching the film at times because Alike’s parents were not on the best of terms and Alike’s mother actually fought her daughter as if she was a stranger in the street! I know what it feels like to be around combative parents. Luckily, my mother remarried or simply found someone whom would love her back unconditionally. I couldn’t believe how naive or in denial Alike’s father was, as if 17 year old young women dressing in baggy clothes and playing sports with him as if she was his only son wasn’t a sign in one way or another. I played ball with my biological father and for a team for a time but he knew I like boys. Not until I was in my sophomore year of high school as a cheerleader, going through an experimental phase did I realize I had a growing attraction for girls as well. My father was well out of my life for a while and my relationship with my mother simply continued to grow into my adulthood because she was all I had as far as a parental unit. I eventually told her I was bisexual and luckily didn’t have my ass handed to me.

This move literally made me reflect on how good I have it and how much humans need to pay more attention or at least try to have a better understanding. Everyone wants to be understood, but sometimes people have to make space for others to speak so that one can listen and begin to understand. Seriously, just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t there.