ENH 224 | Spring 2018 | College of Staten Island, CUNY

Uncategorized

They said: “College will broaden your horizons”…. (Blake)

I signed up for this class for three reasons. First it was listed as a TALA requirement which I need and because the course was identified as U.S. Literature: Multicultural Perspectives (I love multiculturalism). Lastly it fit my schedule perfectly being a full time mother and preschool teacher. Now as far as this being the course you laid it out to be yes, I was taken back at first. After thinking about it, it makes perfect sense. The LGBT is part of our community and it is a big part of our culture so why not?! I think I was taken back because this is not the nature of any courses I am used to hearing about at all. Let’s say “normal courses” for lack of a better word. It shouldn’t be a shock to hear about a course like this, but because of societal norms and stigmas, it is. My parent’s along with others could always be heard pushing college “it’ll broaden your horizons”. I can finally say, it is! I think this course will give me a new look on things within this community. I have some insight and my own sentiments in regards to it, but would love a new fresh perspective!