ENH 224 | Spring 2018 | College of Staten Island, CUNY

Posts

You did NOT have me at sound poetry; until you did! (Tara)

Tracie Morris and Rommi Smith gave a show I was not expecting at all. I actually thougth it was going to be long and drawn out and possibly uninteresting. I do like poetry but this was a new genre I knew nothing about. I had went to the performance with my girlfriend and when Rommi started her first scene I received a look like my girlfriend was going to kill me. Nevertheless by the end of her performance I was moved and had this indescribable feeling that I still cannot pinpoint. Both myself and my girlfriend had enjoyed both performances even though the start was for lack of a better word, weird to us. Rommi in each and every scene tranformed right before our eyes. I was capitvated by the way her whole performance was so fluid and realistic with the use of the voices that took over to play their part. Now although I like Rommi and her performance I related to Tracie on an entire different level. Her life story hit home with me. With regards to growing up in the projects, always being in my books, and having a set of rules I knew not to break. The way she described her upbringing was so close to mine it was uncanny. I think I anticipated her performance to be great compared to Rommi when she started, because although she had a moving story about her upbringing I could not relate to it. Tracie’s ending performance took me and I think almost everyone in that room for a spin. It was comical, yet moving weirdly fascinating. I am glad Professor Brim switched it up a little and gave us this opportunity to experience something not so common but within our culture!