ENH 224 | Spring 2018 | College of Staten Island, CUNY

Uncategorized

My First Poetry Event (Alexis L.)

Walking through the doors of my very first poetry event, I didn’t know what to expect. I sat in my chair and waited until the first poet began to speak. Rommi Smith caught my attention right away. I was not only amazed by the poetry being told but the way she spoke. The way Rommi’s voice changed to express the mood she was trying to bring out was very impressive and something i have never witnessed before. You were able to get the same feel she was feeling and i loved every second of it.  The next poet Tracie Morris’ poetry was different than Rommi’s but i still got the same feeling as she took over the mic and recited a sound poem. Tracie’s sound poetry amazed me because to me it was very creative and fun. Rommi and Tracie are incredibly talented and im happy to say they were the first two poets i got to listen to at my first poetry reading event. I am looking forward to many more of poetry events because i believe its a good feeling to listen to poets express how they feel in their own fun way!