ENH 224 | Spring 2018 | College of Staten Island, CUNY

Uncategorized

Poor Students are not Poor Students (CHAN)

Matt Brim breaks down two very significant forms of oppression and explains how college is the institution that allows these two forms to intersect. This is the intersectionality of sexuality and socio economic status. Dr. Brim was unaware that his queer studies classes were actually “Poor Queer Studies” courses sand it took him seven years to come to that conclusion. He writes, “ ’Poor’ names a dimension of experience that, perhaps more than any other structure of difference including sexuality, forms the basis of my queer pedagogy at the College of Staten Island, “ (Brim, 19). The word “poor” is only four letters but it carries along with it very serious and specific stigmas and ideas that affect the way pedagogues teach and the way students receive information. College of Staten Island was not my dream school but the truth of the matter is that poor kids cannot afford to go to their dream schools. It is a fitting name because these types of schools are looking for investments. With no money, these schools will always just be mere dreams to us. This quote truly struck a chord within me because this is my last semester at CSI. Although not defined by this fact, my 4 year college experience was greatly impacted by the fact that I am poor. During my first semesters, I worked 40+ hours a week at a retail store and I wasn’t able to take the recommended 15 credits. Even though that was what my advisor suggested, FASFA says that 12 credits is full time and the less classes, the more time I have to work. Without a job, I wouldn’t have been able to pay for books, metro card fees (which keeps increasing thanks to MTA), cell phone bills, or for the balance I owed when TAP denied my grant because “one of my classes weren’t in my major”.  I wasn’t able to give myself fully to my education because of my “poor” obligations. My college education is my way out, my way into a comfortable life and unfortunately the one thing I had no control over, played such a huge part in that.