ENH 224 | Spring 2018 | College of Staten Island, CUNY

Uncategorized

Give Low Income students An Equal Chance! PLEASE….? (Shania)

The reading that was assigned to us was very informative, it goes to show how college can be seen as a “business” rather than an institutions for millennials to better themselves and secure their future.  When a high school student thinks about going to college, they usually don’t think about the cost; usually thoughts of “do they have what I want to study” “What kind of teams do they have” or “Are the dorms Co-Ed” are in mind. However, reality hits when you’re a high school student coming from a low-income family. One may realize that, “although I aspire to go to college, I know I won’t have the same college opportunity or take the same classes as someone who comes from a rich family”. Dr. Brim goes into the lives of CSI students, he depicts how several night classes start on campus… “A vending machine stands half empty. Dinner waits behind glass, unspoilable. The new slot for credit cards blinks. It’s nearing 6:30pm, and this is night school”. (Brim, p. 2) Nevertheless, this line is from the beginning of the text but, it stood out to me so much because, this is my life. Majority of the time night school is convenient for students like myself that have full time jobs, possibly kids, or just fit in their busy schedule perfectly. Brim ties queer studies & social economy within his text by questioning what exactly is poor about queer studies. Now the question that remains is “are low-income students getting the proper education needed to become better in the working world?”